The Malaga Fair is undoubtedly the most important event held in the city, both in terms of the number of activities and the number of people who visit it during the 7 days it lasts. In 2022, almost a million people enjoyed the music, shows, dances, gastronomy…
Unlike many other fairs held in our country, in Malaga we have two different locations: the city centre and the fairgrounds. Each one has its own essence, which makes it a unique event.
In the past, during the day the fair was held in the streets and at night most people moved to the fairgrounds to continue enjoying themselves. In recent years, the trend has changed, and the atmosphere is now at any time of day or night in both locations.
MALAGA FAIR 2023: from 12 to 19 August
1. FAIR IN THE CENTRE
The Daytime Fair in the centre of Malaga is a daytime celebration that takes place in the streets and squares of the old town, although it usually continues into the night, as many bars and nightclubs remain open for the enjoyment of those who do not want to travel to the fairgrounds.
This is the part that sets the Malaga Fair apart from the others, as you can enjoy the festive atmosphere in the streets of the city, its squares, bars and restaurants… It’s perfect to meet up for lunch, walk through the streets and listen to live music. The usual timetable for this fair is from 12:00h until 18:00h, which is when the music in the streets is turned off and people either continue in the bars and clubs or go to the fairgrounds.
Here’s what you can see and do at the Feria del Centro:
1. Musical Events: Music can not only be found in bars and discotheques, in many of the squares in the centre you can enjoy music with live performances.
Depending on where you go you will hear different styles such as current, 80’s and 90’s, or even live performances of folk music and dances, where you can see first hand popular styles such as flamenco, malagueñas and sevillanas, with the aim of promoting the art and culture of the region.
2. Gastronomy: The Day Fair in the centre of Malaga offers a wide selection of traditional dishes and refreshing drinks to enjoy during the celebration. The bars and restaurants in the area prepare to welcome visitors and offer gastronomic specialities from the region.
Among the most outstanding dishes are fried fish, tapas (such as gazpacho, salmorejo, aubergines with honey, among others), grilled meats and typical desserts from Malaga, such as bienmesabe and borrachuelos. In addition, you can’t miss the local wines and the refreshing rebujitos, a mixture of fine wine, lemon and soda that is very popular during the fair.
3. Busy Places: During the Day Fair in the centre of Malaga, some places stand out for their crowds and their lively festive atmosphere. Among the busiest places are Calle Larios, Plaza de la Constitución, Plaza Mitjana, Plaza de Uncibay and Plaza de la Merced, which is where most of the fair is concentrated, and you will enjoy the decoration of each of them.
2. FAIR OF THE REAL
The Fair of the Real in Malaga is a fairground located in the Cortijo de Torres, near the area of Teatinos, which is where the University of Malaga is located. It has a space of 21,500 square metres, in which we find 121 stands, an area for attractions, as well as other types of facilities such as food trucks, games…
The Cortijo de Torres fairground is open from midday until the early hours of the morning, which is when the “casetas” close. It is divided into different atmospheres, depending on the plan you have, if you go to eat, enjoy with the family, listen to music or go to a concert:
1. Casetas: This is the heart of The Fair of the Real, where most of the casetas are located. They are distributed along 3 streets. Here you will find both music and food stalls open to the public. It is a very dynamic and fun atmosphere, where you can visit a large number of spaces, and listen to traditional music such as malagueñas and verdiales, concerts in some of the casetas or DJs, playing current music. Access to most of them is free of charge.
2. Youth Zone: This is a specific area aimed at attracting a younger audience or those who prefer a different type of music such as rock, electronic and not as commercial as you can find in the area of the “casetas”. In addition, the Youth Zone offers a wide variety of attractions and entertainment such as live shows, concerts and musical performances of various genres. Every night, with renowned artists, especially at national level.
3. Attractions Zone: In this specific section you will discover a large number of attractions for all audiences, which will make you have a great time.
As in most of the big fairs, you can ride on the giant big wheel, where you can see the whole fairground from a great height, free fall, speed rides and many attractions for the little ones. This area is where you will find many of the fast food stalls, not forgetting the churros, a tradition at the end of the night.
4. Equestrian Exhibition Area: This is a space reserved for the exhibition of horses of different breeds and disciplines. Here you can enjoy impressive equestrian shows, demonstrations of dressage, jumping and other disciplines related to the world of horses. The riders display their skills and abilities in an elegant and traditional atmosphere.
5. Horse and Carriage Parade: This is one of the most outstanding events of the Malaga Fair. During this celebration, riders on horseback and decorated carriages ride through the streets of the fairgrounds, showing the beauty and tradition of horse riding. The ride takes place on a predetermined route and is usually a very popular spectacle for locals and visitors alike. It takes place during the day.
The fireworks are an exciting and colourful pyrotechnic spectacle that kick off the Malaga Fair, taking place on the eve of the first official day of the Malaga Fair, at 12 midnight from Friday to Saturday. This show is held either in the port of Malaga or on the Malagueta beach, very central and strategic locations so that they can be seen in any part of the city.
It is another of the great attractions of the fair, and attracts millions of people to the streets to enjoy it from up close, so I recommend that you go with time to get a good place. The bars, restaurants and terraces at the top of the hotels are crowded, as nobody wants to miss it, so people usually stay for dinner and then to watch the show, so you can start the Malaga Fair in the best way.
-DISCOUNTS & PROMOTIONS-
RENT A CAR
Do you need a rental car to explore the Costa del Sol? With our partner you can get a 5% DISCOUNT to hire a car at Malaga airport, with the PROMOCODE MLK23
Plan your excursions to the most iconic places in Malaga, such as the Caminito del Rey, Ronda, Setenil de las Bodegas, Marbella… Choose where and when, and we’ll take care of the rest.